The Ultima 6 Project Version 1.1 (Final) Is Now Available!
Akalaupdate: And in a serendipitous turn of events, Dungeon Siege is on sale today at Amazon for just $4.99 (for the digital download version)!
Oh, and maybe consider supporting the Kickstarter campaign for Wildman, the upcoming RPG from the studio that created Dungeon Siege.
Original Post:This is a day long in coming; the Ultima fan project that began under the working title Propehcy — now known as the Ultima 6 Project — has released its final version, 1.1. Here’s the official press release from the project team:
It is with much pleasure that we announce the release of the 1.1 Final Release of Team Archon’s Ultima 6 Project (U6P), for Dungeon Siege 1 (PC and Mac). U6P features an open and varied world for you to explore with dungeons, caves, islands and towns for you to discover; a non-linear plot line with many, many quests; ships you can sail and navigate across Britannia’s oceans; a second world to discover; both a “virtuous” and an “evil” plot line, and much, much more.
With this release we are also making available PDF Map Books containing high-resolution versions of the following:
- Copies of the in-game dungeon and Britannia town maps
- Maps of the Gargoyle lands and dungeons
- The in-game World Map, with both a spoiler and non-spoiler version. The spoiler version has islands that are not shown on the in-game map.
Some things to look forward to in this release:
- Both English and French versions
- A German version is in the works, but is not yet ready
- A localization pack is available for those who would like to translate the game into another language
- Brand-new Moongate subsystem that now scales – things don’t break later in the game any more
- Generally better performance – major optimization of various components and special effects
- Many quest improvements
- Many dozens of bug-fixes
- Interesting new places to explore
- Far more accurate world map coordinates
- Huge enhancements to the dungeon map system – new “helper” pins and better maps to make our immense dungeons easier to navigate – or optionally, just as hard as before if you disable the helper pins (you can see samples of the new maps in the picture below)
- It should be noted that anyone using a previous version will have to uninstall it prior to installing the 1.1 Final Release and start a new game.
If you find problems with the release, want to exchange play hints with other players, want to give us kudos, or (heaven forbid) want to tell us what you really think, join us at our forums. We have set up a special forum for the 1.1 Final Release on the Project Britannia forums.
To download the 1.1 Final Release, go to the Ultima 6 Project web site at: http://www.u6project.com/
Naturally, downloads are available at the project entry here, as well as at the project website. As well, a number of mods are available for the Ultima 6 Project. While they have not yet been added to the project entry, they can be found for download at Sylore’s website. In particular, you may wish to consider installing Tribun Dragon’s portraits mod, samples from which can be seen at the Project Britannia forums.