Nuvie Version 0.4 Released!

Lord British’s castle in fullscreen mode with roofs

The Nuvie team has been hard at work, and are proud to announce the newest release of their Ultima VI engine.

It’s release time again. The Nuvie Team is proud to bring you version 0.4!

The big news with this release is that Ultima VI can now be completed in Nuvie without skipping any of the plot or using cheats! This is a big milestone for the project. Thanks to Malignant_Manor for playing through the game from start to finish in Nuvie to verify this.

We have been very busy working since the last release. There have been 280 commits to our subversion server since the 0.3 release.(1.5 commits per day on average) We have spent a fair bit of time on improving the interface logic and ironing out gameplay issues.

Here’s a quick summary of what is included in release 0.4

• New experimental fullscreen map mode. With gorgeous new art by Daniel c. Wurl.
  • New roof tile system with map editor.
  • Overhaul of interface logic with optional new U7 like interface. Removed lots of interface bugs.
  • Added key binding system for in-game commands from Exult.
  • Attack target memory
  • ‘command’ combat mode.
  • Loads of bug fixes
  • Loads of small improvements.

There are still bugs to be found and small features to be added (The end sequence still needs doing) but with this release we are drawing ever closer to the big 1.0 release. As usual, please report any bugs on our bug tracker.

Eric

There is a lot of great work here, and all fans of Ultima VI are highly encouraged to check out the latest release of Nuvie.  The new fullscreen mode is simply spectacular, and makes the game feel more modern.  The new spellbook and interface adds a lot too.  Check it out!

Akalaupdate:Eric was so kind to point out down in the comments, that even though Ultima VI is fully playable in the original display mode, the enhanced fullscreen mode is not yet fully supported.

15 Responses

1. Deckard says:

Are there screenshots of the new map mode? I’m going to install this and play it sometime this week, but I’m curious about it.

2. Eric says:

Thanks for the news post Dungy. Just a quick clarification. The new fullscreen map interface isn’t ready for prime time yet. You need to play the game in the original mode to complete it at this stage.

Regards,
    Eric

3. Here’s a screenshot of full screen map with the roofs showing. Like Eric says, it needs a lot of work to provide an enjoyable experience. You can probably complete the game with it but it is pretty buggy.

* There is no message shown when you look at or use objects. (The bottom right scroll in the original game)
    * The peer effect will leave you stuck in that mode.
    * Container gumps can crash the game if you load with them open.
    * Conversations will be cut off at the end and portrait switching like with Pushme Pullyu doesn’t work right.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t13/Malignant_Manor/?action=view&current=fullscreen_map.png

4. USA Districs Attourney says:

beautiful!!!!!! I LOVE IT!

5. Original mode is unaffected unless you use doubleclick_opens_containers or converse_gump to bring in fullscreen_map features. Just in case some people might misread what I wrote.

The following problems are only with fullscreen_map.
    * There is no message shown when you look at or use objects. (The bottom right scroll in the original game)
    * The peer effect will leave you stuck in that mode.

doubleclick_opens_containers and fullscreen_map settings have this next issue.
    * Container gumps can crash the game if you load with them open.

converse_gump and fullscreen_map settings need to deal with this.
    * Conversations will be cut off at the end and portrait switching like with Pushme Pullyu doesn’t work right.

6. WtF Dragon says:

@dungy – Thanks for posting this! I wouldn’t have gotten round to it until Tuesday. By the Virtues, but it’s great to have co-authors around here!

@eric & @malignant – Congrats on the release, and thanks for all your hard work on this. Can’t wait to give Nuvie 0.4 a try!

7. Kornagoyle says:

Exciting stuff… I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to play a full screen U6; lamenting the impossible… somehow I’ve missed this whole Nuvie business…. ;p
    Thanks to the modders who keep improving our games!

8. Malignant Manor says:

I forgot that you can’t use the runes in fullscreen_map mode. So fullscreen_map is currently unbeatable without switching to original mode. Eric and I talked about trying to have fullscreen_map fully playable by version 0.5.

9. Zygon Dragon says:

Documentation link says no full screen under OSX 🙁 Is this going to be fixed soonish ?
    Thanks,

10. Wow! Those are some beautiful screenshots!